> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What's the difference?
Login | Register

What's the difference?

Posted by tomh on February 20th, 2003 10:44 AM
In reply to Paint Dealer vs Home Center by Frank on February 20th, 2003 06:42 AM [Go to top of thread]

Here is my take on the paint dealer vs home center, and anyone is welcome to disagree. I have established a long-term relationship with a paint dealer, based on their ability to provide top quality products, useful information, advise and accessories not found in home centers. They also keep track of what I buy and make appropriate suggestions. They let me try out new things risk free and accept returns on things that don't work out. I receive discounted (contractor) prices even though I am not a pro painter. As a result their prices end up slightly higher than discount home centers. However, I have bought paint at both places, and have disposed of a great deal more paint from the home center that was not the quality or finish I had hoped for, and I have learned that cheaper paint generally does not pay due to needing more coats / time to apply.

In return for my patronage, the store makes an effort to ensure my satisfaction and retun business. They know what projects I am working on and ask how the kids are doing. I like that. If cost is your bottom line, it is unlikely you will go to the paint center. But if you develop a patronage, I doubt you would go back to discount.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC