> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What kind of light switches do I have?
Login | Register

What kind of light switches do I have?

Posted by Randy Weaver on December 12th, 2000 12:32 AM

We just bought a house with special light switches. These switches look like little rocker switches. There is only one button for the switch, and pressing the button at the top turns the light on, and pushing at the bottom turns the light off. The wires in the wall (hooked up to the switches) also look more like automotive wire than home wire.

The home inspector said they are “low-voltage” switches. He said that they run on either 12v or 24v current, and suggested we consider their removal, and replacement with more standard 120v switches.

Before we commit to ripping it all out, I would like to know more about them. For instance, how does the 12v or 24v power (I’m assuming DC) get converted to 120v AC? Can anyone provide more information on their operation, or know where we can find out more details?

Thanks in advance

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC