> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > what I learned recently...
Login | Register

what I learned recently...

Posted by Jules on July 10th, 2001 02:34 AM
In reply to Lawn Mowers by Laurie on July 9th, 2001 01:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

the husbandperson and I just moved from an apartment to a house with a LARGE yard and needed to purchase a lawn mower.

Our first inclination was to get a manual reel mower, but given the size of our lawn, plus the thatchiness of it, we nixed that idea reluctantly.

However, if I had a small or flat lawn that wasn't too thick, I'd still go with that option. We looked at two different ones - one was made by Lee Valley Tools and had a cylinder that didn't need sharpening - instead, you replace the cylinder every 10 years or so. Good if you're an idiot about sharpening like I am. Great balance, practically pushed itself. The other one we looked at was made by Gardena. Again, great balance, smooth action. Forget any ideas you might have about manual reel mowers being hard to use - they're great.

Electric was out for us, again due to the size of the lawn, but that would have been my second choice, just because I don't like to use gas engines...I have this thing about flammable liquids, which is odd considering my hobby (I'm a soapmaker and so many of my scented and essential oils have low flash points!). Can't recommend any brands or anything, since we didn't really look at electric too hard.

What we ended up getting was a chain store brand (Yardworks by Canadian Tire for the Canucks in the crowd) with a 6.0 hp Briggs & Stratton Quantum Touch-and-Go engine (electric starter), that is self propelled. A necessity with our large lawn and the husbandperson's bursitis (and my arthritis). Everyone that we talked to, regardless of what make of mower they were trying to push, recommended the Briggs & Stratton engine very highly. Might be a bit more power than you're looking for, but it does have a very nice light touch from being self-propelled.

Not knowing how large your lawn is, and not being a lawnmowing maven by any means, I can't really recommend anything for you, these are just my own thoughts since we just came out of the process!

Dunno if that was any help or not...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC