> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What I can tell you
Login | Register

What I can tell you

Posted by Bruce Ridenour on January 8th, 2002 08:41 PM
In reply to Popcorn ceiling removal by Eric on January 8th, 2002 03:17 PM [Go to top of thread]

Wetting and scraping is the best way I know of to remove this stuff without having a dusty mess. Its enough of a mess without the dust.

I charge 70 cents a square foot for painting an untextured ceiling with two coats of latex material. For painting textured walls and ceilings, I charge $1.10 per square foot, and up because of increased material usage and the added time it takes to work rough areas.

As for retexturing, the quesion I have is, are you doing a sprayed texture or a hand texture. Either way, it's a lot of work. Hand textures are easier if you have two people, which means splitting the profit or paying a wage. Spraying means masking the walls.

I look to get $1.00 a square foot to spray texture, and $1.40 to do a hand texture. These prices are based on the fact that I live in Fairfield County, CT. Which is one of the highest costs of living in the country.

One tip for you. If you intend to paint the texture when it's dry, mix 1 quart of latex primer into each 3 gallons of texture before you apply it. This will help the texture resist softening when you apply a latex primer to it. Life is much more simple when you don't have to do work over again.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC