> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What a statement of yours!!!
Login | Register

What a statement of yours!!!

Posted by Moderator, Steve on February 26th, 2002 09:26 PM
In reply to A thought about mold..... by Scott on February 26th, 2002 09:03 PM [Go to top of thread]

Really made me sit back and think. First, Scott, you should not feel responsible, because, what are you or the industry going to do to stop the rain and snow melt during construction? This is a constant and has been going on for a long time. Mold has been around since the dinosaur age and will continue around long after we are gone also.

I am not a professional in this area as you are, but the thing that probably will change is the way the inspectors will view this problem and address it. The homeowners insurance companies have voiced their intentions (at least in Texas), we are not responsible for it and will not pay for mold's actions.

I do not know the answer to the termination of mold on new construction and on stacked construction material that has got wet.

I saw a very reputable restaurant being built with all that (what I call waffer board) the wafer boards were put up on the sides and roofs, then it rained for over two weeks and work was halted for over a month because of different things. Then when work resumed, they just covered up that waffer boards and went on. I, being nosey, did a walk through the shell of the building one Sunday and found that the boards had already began swelling and some cases crumbling. What is happening now five months later with that sheathing?

So much of the work can be readily hidden with something on top of it and the problem is now gone or out of sight.

Your thinking on a "too tight house" is a very valid issue. I think of all the chemicals we use in side the house from hair spray, to spray furniture cleaners, to floor cleaners, to spray disenfectants, to whatever and I wonder how long all that residue stays inside my walls.

Every Spring and Fall, we do a ritual, open all windows and doors and change out the air. I swear, the house smells better and its just healthier.

Being in this business, I have caulked, insulated, and sealed every known crack in my home and I wonder how its breathing and how I am breathing also.

Sometimes I wish our HVAC systems had a purge of inside air and actually exchanged it with new air from outside and not re circulated inside air.

Your points are so valid and so thought provolking and something that our industry will have to address in the future, but until then, don't blame yourself one bit.

Instead of that, consider what can be done to fix the problem or it it can.

Thanks for the very interesting post and we appreciate people like you on this show. Stick around and help us out more.

We have an inspector on this site that frequently posts answers to many inspector questions.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC