> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What a shame!
Login | Register

What a shame!

Posted by GeoEngineer on November 28th, 2002 10:29 PM
In reply to Update on CCA or pressure treated wood by Moderator, Steve on November 27th, 2002 01:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

Too bad the EPA never does enough homework before they start their witch hunts. CCA actually DOES NOT leach any higher levels of arsenic than can be found in background levels in natural soil deposits! There are at least 5 independent studies I am aware of on this matter that all concur and counter the assertions by the EPA. In fact, the Timber Piling Association faught them heavily on this matter. Unfortunately, politics rule.

This matter is no different the Federally mandated use of Reformulated Gasolines to reduce vehicle emissions via blends of MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether) - a.k.a., Oxygenated Fuels. Not one single study has found decisively that MTBE has positively impacted reduction in Green House gases. Not one CONCLUSIVELY. Instead there are RELATIVELY studies that the EPA uses to support their assertions. Those same studies are totally silent on the fact the the Federal government mandates vehicle manufacturers to meet specific emissions standards with 'plain' gasolines. This standards have been made increasingly stringent over the course of the last two decades, yet this FACT, and direct impact on the so-called substantiating findings, is ignored by the studies... Interesting isn't it? More interesting are the countless studies (literally) which find MTBE levels steadily increasing in groundwater. For those that do not know, MTBE IS a recognized health hazard!

Sorry for soapbox as I was merry looking for a home improvement answer, but stumbled upon this thread for which I know far more about than the average person as this has been my life's career. Though other reader's might want informed information from the other side of the government's table...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC