> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > What a cool idea
Login | Register

What a cool idea

Posted by David on January 31st, 2003 10:14 PM
In reply to Old doors as wainscot by Bruce on January 31st, 2003 04:39 PM [Go to top of thread]

Bruce, what a neat way of incorporating these into your home!

There's 2 items that come to mind as possible drawbacks beyond what Steve mentioned; how you handle doorknob cutouts if these are to be a natural or stain finish, rather than painted, and that you'll need to extend any receptacle boxes that will be in these areas. (Both these are certainly, and reasonably possible to do, but should be kept in mind ahead of time.)

Beyond that, I think even though it would take up a little more space, I would install the doors over top of drywall, not directly to the framing, and seal the backside of the doors prior to installing; this will help you avoid draft problems and help keep the doors at a stable moisture level to minimize expansion and contraction in the panels.

Although door to door it won't be much, I'd suggest leaving a slight space between each door, covered by a trim stile, to allow for what expansion/contraction you will still have, or routing the ends of each to join together in a tongue & groove fashion would also accommodate this.

Topping them off should be no problem, by using a cap of 1X pine (or whatever you choose based on finish) that is wide enough to cover the edge of the door plus a decorative cove or bed molding, and leave a slight, radiused overhang. The same cap method can be utilized at dead ends or doorways, too.

Sounds like fun, Bruce; good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC