> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wet Basement and Waterproofing
Login | Register

Wet Basement and Waterproofing

Posted by Michael Goldman on January 24th, 1998 04:17 PM

I know this subject has been discussed on here quite a bit but...

We live in Central NJ, our basement has a floating slab (space between floor and concrete block walls).

We currently have a sump pump which under normal conditions seem to do an ok job of keeping the water at bay. However, whenever our power goes out, our battery backup cannot keep up with the inflow and we get some flooding.

Now we want to finish the basement but before we do, I want to solve the water problem. Last year we had one company come in and their proposal was to put in a drainage system like the ones described here (corrugated or PVC drain pipe buried down toward the footings, holes drilled into block walls, and one sump pump in each of two opposite corners). Their initial estimate was for $13,000, when they came back to look again, they then said they could possibly have a "commercial crew" on down time do it for $8,000. Needless to say I will not deal with these people.

Now, this week I've had a couple more people in. The first is an engineer with what he says is 15 years experience in various things. His recommendation is not the drain system (which he says is not needed for our situation) but what he called a closed aquaduct system, basically some type of 3 sided piping which is epoxied to the floor and wall above the existing channel ( they also drill weep holes into the block wall) and this aquaduct leads to a new sump pit. His price for this is ~$4500.

The second guy again recommended a drain system for $3500.

My problem do I know who to trust and which system will actually take care of the problem? Has anyone ever heard of this aquaduct type system?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC