> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wet Basement
Login | Register

Wet Basement

Posted by Nanette A. Burt on October 19th, 2000 11:12 PM
In reply to Hey Bruce M - Re: Finishing My Basement by Robert K on January 5th, 1998 12:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

I live in Alabama, and my husband and I purchased a home in 98. This home is has a basement that consists of (3) bedrooms, a kitchen, living and dining area, 300 ft storage room, laundry room and bathroom. Our problem is the foundation is cracking. We have been told it's because of the moisture level. We have been flooded (5) times since living here. We've removed all the carpet of course. Since it has been so hot, less rain we haven't been flooded lately. We are in theprocess of having the back yard regraded. In the back of our home is a mountain and the water just pours like crazy and with the yard the way that it is is the water goes directly into our basement. The previous owner had put in brick walls in areas of the back yard which only served to trap the water. The back porch is lower than the yard, so it just runs directly into that area which is boxed in and as soon as the drain is full, and cannot handle anymore water, it comes under the walls into the basement, in the bathroom windows, kitchen windows, etc. A real mess. What I want to ask is after getting the yard regraded, and installing french drains, what else can we do. On the inside of the house, the previous owner had some type of plastic basement installed behind the wooden baseboards. Not all the walls have this, but the ones that do, the water did not soak up into the walls and installation. I cannot find out what this is, once we start on the inside I would like to put this down along all my walls, to prevent water damage to my drywall and installation again. Does anybody out there know what this is called, or where I can purchase it. One other problem I'd like to ask about, we had all our sewer lines replaced (we have a septic tank) and now we are told by the health department that the ground in our yard will not soak up this water and we need more dirt. We've had (2) loads brought in and we still have water standing even as hot as it has been here. Help, Please.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC