> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > wet basement
Login | Register

wet basement

Posted by Brian on January 17th, 1998 11:37 AM

I've been reading the messages on installing a french drain in the basement. I've had a few waterproofing companies in to give estimates. They are very expensive and the concept seems very easy. I'm looking into doing it myself. I'm not in constudtion but I think I could do it. I would break up the very thin layer of concrete floor in my 100 yr old house about 12-18 inches from the wall. Then dig down to footer level and install either PVC pipe or the Form-A-Drain system from Certainteed. This would need to be sloped from one corner to the opposite corner. Install a sump pump, cover with 1 inch gravel, place a waffle drain against the wall, apply a vapor barrier, tuck it into the waffle drain, and repour the floor. What am I missing? I currently have water coming in the walls very close to the floor. It seems to come in one particular location, but I would want to do the whole 120 linear feet. I also have a common wall with my nieghbor. My nieghbor then has another common wall. I live on the end of a very rare, 100 year old quad in the Philadelphia area. I only plan to finish off 1 - 15x15 room. That's why I don't want to spend $3,500 to do it. Should I even bother with the common wall? What issues are there with supporting the structure? I would imagine that there are no issues since the floor was once dirt. I wonder if I may be getting in over my head on this one. I've often called this house my practice house, but I don't want to get into any structural problems. Are there any hidden concerns that I may not be anticipating. It just seems like it will be pretty straight forward. Opinions please.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC