> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > well, tom, you tear me up LOL.
Login | Register

well, tom, you tear me up LOL.

Posted by Moderator, Steve on February 21st, 2003 04:05 PM
In reply to Painting Interior Walls by GGP on February 21st, 2003 01:52 PM [Go to top of thread]

AS A PROFESSIONAL PAINTER,(which many others are and I respect that). All painters have paint they rely upon and only use.

I only use Sherwin, Kelly Moore, or Ben Moore. Any other brand, I will refuse the entire job. I personally know what that paint will deliver as far as appearance and as far as my check.

Now, I would never use RL for anything.

Second, painting with a roller seems like an easy task, but. They can be quite a nightmare unless you know how to properly unload the paint and keep it even and keep the leading edges wet for the next load up.

Everyone has their own procedure with a roller, but here is what I do: I paint a 4x4 square at a time. With my freshly loaded roller with paint, I will make a giant W within that box. This will unload the paint pretty evenly in that area. then I will quickly smooth out that W so that its smooth and even and overlaping the previous box just a inch or two. I always roll up and down and make sure that that box is covered properly, but never add more paint to that box. Now I load that roller cover again and make my next box adjacent to that previous box and do the same. Never let the edges of the previous box dry before you begin that new box.

Now, roller covers, I only use a 1/2 inch knap roller and one that is lambskin and one that cost about $12.

Remember, quality paint and quality brushes and rollers yield a quality job.

Now, playing painters quarterback, I would say that you did not do the box thing, and not even the W thing and you unloaded the loaded cover in one area and tried to smooth it out too far from that original spot. You had too much in one area and not enough in the other.

Now, cut in's will also give you that shaded look because a brush will lay on paint at a different rate than a roller. So in corners, feathering out and re painting after your done is always required.

I would paint that entire room again and use my technique and see what happens. I think you will be satisfied.

Disclaimer, all those ready to jump down on my case because of my paint preferences, hold on. We all have our preferences and these are mine. I drink pepsi but if you drink coke I do not think of you any less. LOL.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC