this is what my RCA Universal Remote pamphlet says to do:
If your TV does not respond, try all the codes for your brand. If the codes do not work or your
tv is not listed, try the code search method on Page 10
from page 10:
1. Turn on the device you wish to program (TV, VCR, or Cable Box)
2 Press and hold CODE SEARCH until the indicator light lights then release CODE SEARCH.
3. Press and release the device button for the device you are programming(CABLE,VCR, or TV). The indicator light will blink once.
4. Press and release OFF/ON until your device turns off.
Important: You may have to press OFF/ON up to 200 times.
5. When your device turns off. press the ENTER button.
Note. When programming using the earlier codes I posted, make sure you select TV before setting it up.
just to make sure we covered it all, when trying with the listed codes for Symphonic TV (033,038,189) let's go back over the instructions from the pamphlet.
1. Manually turn on TV
2. Press and hold CODE SEARCH button until the Indicator Light lights, the release the CODE SEARCH button.
3. Press and release the TV button ( the indicator Light will blink then remain lit)
4. Enter the code number using the Number Buttons.
After your code is entered, the Indicator Light will turn off.
5. Aim the remote at your TV and press the OFF/ON button. Your TV should turn off.
Hope this helps, Luck, Kizmet