> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Well, sanding and refinishing is alot cheaper...than...
Login | Register

Well, sanding and refinishing is alot cheaper...than...

Posted by Steve: on November 19th, 2000 05:45 PM
In reply to hardwood floors by Sarah on November 19th, 2000 12:29 PM [Go to top of thread]

tearing up and installing new.

You can get quite a few good sandings out of hardwood flooring before you run into problems with the fastening cuts.

I would do some experimenting in an out of the way section. Spend some money, alittle, on a floor sander and a up corner sander and try it out.

All these can be rented. you pay the rent and you buy the sandpaper.

There is a specified order of sanding and one that must be adhered to inorder to get a nice finish.

Check into this at a hardwood flooring store or possibly someone on the site knows of the proper way.

I have rented a barrel or drum sander and started out with paper alittle more course than medium. Sand in one direction only and do not sit in one spot too long. A valley will develope. I made several long swaths with this paper and pulled back on the machine in a very slow buy steady motion.

Then I went to several steps finer sandpaper, did the same all over again.

Then gradually went down to fine paper and then to steel wool for the final.

I made sure that the corner sander followed the same pattern and again in the direction of the grain.

Then I sealed with a good Minwax stain. Then applied a good either polyurethane or water based poly as a sealer. Then applied several more coats between a light steel wooling.

It is easy once you understand the pattern of sanding and only one sand. This way, you know the feel and the method. Be sure the sanders have a dust collector and a good one.

You will find out that in refinishing floors, dust is your worst enemy.

Good Luck

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC