> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Well Put Henry ...
Login | Register

Well Put Henry ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 7th, 2001 10:06 AM
In reply to More Hardwood Questions? by Marcie on January 6th, 2001 05:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Marcie,

Yes, as I've written before, you will find that the more you shop, the more you'll learn, and the more you learn, the more quesions you'll have.

This is a GOOD thing. As Henry said, it's well worth the time to shop. NOw, if you're thinking of doing this job yourself, either Engineered or 3/4" Solid, get a copy of the Installation Instructions AND the Warranty. After convincing yourself that you can do this AND convincing yourself that you can live with the 'guarantees', then, see if you can rent/buy the necessary tools. At the same time, try and estimate how long it will take you to do the job and figure in the cost of buying the material yourself along with any rentals or tool purchases. Once you've estimated that out, add 30% more time and $$$ because, well, problems (and your somewhat DIYer skills lacking) can add to the time AND COST. THEN, go out and get a bid from a Professional. Believe it or not, you'll find that your costs and so on may be worth paying 25% more to a pro just to be done with it. AND, most likely, he'll do a professional job and so on and so on, all that goes along with a good pro doing a professional job.

Of course, if you're 'set' on doing this job yourself, DO your research. Try to remember that if you start out 'wrong', the rest of the job is wrong. Your floors are most likely the first thing someone sees when walking into your house or kitchen. I certainly wish you well in your decision. (And it sounds like you're going about it in the 'right way' IMO.)

To answer your question, in addition to what Henry said, pre-finished flooring is 'better' than unfinished flooring that's finished in the home, in that, the pre-finished flooring is finished under 'controlled conditions'. This allows the mfgr. to add MANY more layers of finish onto the floor to make it last longer. Adding rubber-backed carpet runners, mats, and so on onto the high-traffic areas of the floor help to protect and preserve your floor. ALWAYS have mats at doorways and at least weekly, dry-mop the floor. And at least bi or tri-weekly, clean the floor with the mfgrs. APPROVED cleaner.

Personally, in the main parts of the house, I like value. Hence, I go with 3/4" flooring. The Engineered or Laminated flooring I'd most likely put in a sun room or an enclosed porch or a finished basement. Use, Warranty, and personal preference 'guide' me in this respect. If you have more ?'s, do post up.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC