> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Well Put ...
Login | Register

Well Put ...

Posted by Jay J on October 15th, 2000 07:12 PM
In reply to Not meaning to gang up on Jay J but.... by Larry on October 15th, 2000 03:50 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hey Larry,

No, You're not at all 'ganging' up on me. I know you and respect your explanation.

I guess I should have 'defined' my concept of DIYer. Start with, for example, a professional plumber who, well, wants to tackle his first paint job. But, before he does, he asks about prep work. Then, in the other hand, take someone who saw a neighbor just paint their own home and now (the DIYer) goes to this neighbor and asks the same question.

Granted, the plumber isn't a DIYer in one sense. BUT, then again, he is, or he wouldn't be asking his question. The 2nd person is a DIYer too because, then again, HE wouldn't be asking the same question. So, if you look at the 2 hands, you'd see how you could argue the plumber being or not being a DIYer. But as I see it, it's a relative 'thing'. This neighbor may only know Home Depot or Lowe's or even Sears. The plumber, (being a plumber), has been EVERYWHERE and knows the difference between a pipe brush and a paint brush. But he has the forsight (like this neighbor) to ask a very basic question. So, in short, if you stood the 2 of them next to each other and had them ask the 'question' one would be inclined to say they're BOTH DIYers. So with that, I apologize to all the DIYers out there if you can now see how relative things can be.

Larry, I like your explanation and appreciate you putting this all in the right light. I, for one, am not afraid to admit where I'm not a DIYer and where I am. I'm sure everyone has their definition of a DIYer. It's easier to define when the 'situation' is specific but when one tries to define it in a broader sense, it gets harder. (Plumber vs Neighbor experience.) I think this DIYer 'thing' was taken to the scale I didn't intend. (My fault for 'starting it.) If it's held back w/tighter reigns, then I think what I said would seem, well, reasonable? In short, a DIYer is someone who is taking on a job that could be taken on by a professional. (Situation-dependent ...) I don't see a DIYer as a 'profession'. As far as how much one knows about 'things' is another matter. Thanks again, Larry, for help me/us clarify it all.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC