> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > well, miracle of miracles...
Login | Register

well, miracle of miracles...

Posted by Jules on June 16th, 2001 09:41 PM

I ran around the house the other day testing the receptacles (the two and three prongs both) to see if they were grounded, and lo and behold, almost all of them were! ALL the two prong receptacles were.

I didn't have time to pull the receptacle covers off and see exactly what I needed to do with the outlets to install three prong receptacles, but yahoooooooo!!

Now, of course, I have another question. The husbandperson picked up a litle three prong "circuit analyzer" with some little lights that indicate if the outlet is grounded and/or if the wires are reversed, that sort of thing.

It indicated that several of the three prong outlets had an "open ground"...what does that mean? I don't think my handy-dandy repair book explains that, and anyway, I left it at the house.

On a comical note, we move in on Wednesday and I think I broke my toe while in the grocery store today. WONDERFUL timing, no? Good thing I hired a moving company since I'm not walking normally...sheesh...

Thanks to everyone who helped explain the myriad of ways that my outlets might be grounded and how to check and everything! Now I just need to do the work...but at least I have a few grounded outlets I can run an extension cord from to the computer in the mean time (yes, I have a good surge protector or four)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC