> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Well ...
Login | Register

Well ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 23rd, 2001 12:51 PM
In reply to Pergo Flooring by Jeanie on October 23rd, 2001 10:45 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Jeanie,

It's kinda hard to know where to start on this one. As Dave225 has said, Pergo doesn't get good 'billing' on this particular BBS. It's not mostly from the installers but mostly from the complainers.

The kinds of complaints vary. The most common ones are of folks trying to get their Warrany 'honored'. Here, if you don't follow the Installation Instruction to the 'T', forget about having a claim being paid. First, the company hails from Sweden. Second, they manage to find something you didn't do right ESPECIALLY if you're DoItYourselfer. Third, they always tell you it's the Installer's fault (yes, even a Pro) if it's not your fault (or their fault.) I've yet to read a statement where Pergo has paid to replace or fix an installation. So, if you plan on installing this over vinyl tiles, you'd BETTER ask (and get your answer in writing) that says you can do what you want to do. If the 'condition' of your existing tile doesn't meet their 'requirements' for a 'level floor', you're out of luck! You are now 'warned' ...

The next most common complaint is from 'bucking' the Installation Instructions even if you don't care what Pergo says. If any water gets into or under the laminate, it will swell and buckle the floor. Once you learn the 'layers' of the flooring, you'll understand why it 'reacts' like it does when it's been infiltrated w/water. To replace a plank or planks is no fun. So if you're going to put this flooring in a room like a kitchen or bathroom or powder room or foyer or laundry room or family room or dining room or living room or bedroom where you have the risk of dropping a glass of ANY liquid, ... well, take your chances.

The remaining complaint is that you can't 'refinish' the floor. When it gets all scratched up or ruined or dented or whatever-else, you throw it away. Remember, it's a LOT cheaper than an Engineered Floor or 3/4" true Hardwood Floor. In short, if the 'disposable aspect' of this flooring suits you, then you understand that you get what you pay for.

As I mentioned, you can do what you wish. And/Or, at the same time, if you want you can take what I said under advisement and go from there. As for my 'answer' to your particular situation, 1) I wouldn't put Pergo in the kitchen, and 2) I would put sheet vinyl or ceramic tile (with an in-floor Warm Floor System) or the like. The kitchen is a VERY busy room in the house. It probably gets the most traffic through it. The 'disruption' of a kitchen is disruptive to the family's every day routine. And to do that again in a few years may not be a lot of fun. I, for one, am a fairly practical person. I buy a flooring that's 'intened' for a particular use. I have sheet vinyl in my kitchen and power room, I have ceramic tile in my full bathrooms, carpeting in the basement, hardwood in the foyer, living room, and dining room, and carpeting in the family room, bedrooms, stairs, and hallways. These materials wear much better in my home in these rooms. You may use your house 'differently' than I do, but based on our use and how it's 'set up', we have good, even wear-and-tear throughout the entire house. (Oh, I don't have anything on my concrete, basement floor. I wouldn't THINK of gluing anything to that because, later on, trying to remove the glue would be a nightmare!)

As Dave225 said, others may be along with their $.02. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Search the BBS for pergo (by using your Browser's Search or Find feature.)

PPS: God Bless America!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC