> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Well ...
Login | Register

Well ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 9th, 2000 11:50 AM
In reply to infloor heating and solid wood flooring by Gloria H on October 9th, 2000 10:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Gloria,

I can't say for sure because it's not an area of expertise for me. HOWEVER, what you're describing is done in many parts of the country. Did the Installer say why??! Is it because you're using Engineered Flooring vs. Solid Wood Flooring? Or is it because the foundation is concrete and it's not insulated? Or because you won't be in the house all year 'round, and if a 'pipe' breaks, you'll have a problem? Please tell us more.

If it's not too late, consider a floor drain or sump pump for your new home ESPECIALLY if you're not around all the time. (Assuming you're not living there full-time, I've heard and read that homeowners install burglary and fire alarms to the phone system, so if there's a problem, you and the police get an automatic call. Or, it calls a neighbor.) My folks looked into a 'feature' whereas if the electricity went out, the unit would call up to 3 people to tell them the electricity went out. Neat, but it cost too much, much more than the food they lost in the fridge in just 1 of 10 years they've been living there.) Just some thoughts. (An inhouse sprinkler system would be worth looking into, as well as fire-retardant materials for the roof and siding.) I hear Colorado has had its share of wildfires this year.

Well, anyways, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC