> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Well ...
Login | Register

Well ...

Posted by Jay J on April 4th, 2000 07:50 AM
In reply to cover the brick by N Brady on April 3rd, 2000 10:39 PM [Go to top of thread]

The best solution w/o having to spend a lot of $$$ is to 'box' the area out. I don't know what the fireplace's profile is but if it's straight up, floor to ceiling, you simply build a box around the brick. Then, you can install whatever you want. Just make sure you have studs at 16" on-center as much as you can. (If there's less 'space' between a corner/edge and 1 stud, that's OK.)

You really can't 'mount' much right on to the brick because it's a stone. Plus, brick breathes in its finished state. That means moisture will affect whatever is attached directly to it. DON'T paint the brick!!! You will have a 'selling point' when you go to sell the house if it's NOT painted. If you end up selling the house, be sure to tell the realtor about the brick. Take a picture before, DURING, and after the project for future reference. This way, a future homeowner will see if they want to leave 'your work' alone or take it down. So go get your camera. Oh, another reason you want to box the brick is because it's NOT a flat surface. It's actually very uneven, and anything attached directly to it will show that.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: I failed to mention that you box the brick in with 2 x 4s. Build 1 side at a time. Ohhhhh, and before I get any 'flack' from the experts, you may need to think harder about this IF you intend to USE the fireplace. There may be code issues depending on how you build the box. It may be best to pay a contractor an hour's rate or so just for his professional advice. Then, you can do the work.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC