> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Weird Circuits
Login | Register

Weird Circuits

Posted by RFelton on December 5th, 2000 04:20 PM
In reply to Can't find upstairs circuit breaker by Steve S. on December 5th, 2000 07:55 AM [Go to top of thread]

Been giving your problem some thought. Questions needing answered: Is there only one set of electrical wires leading into the house? When all breakers are off, does the light go off? I know this is a dumb question, but it does need to be asked. No way can the light keep working if all the electrical breakers are shut down unless the circuit is wired completely around the breaker box (called a direct connection) or you have a defective breaker. If you have circuit breakers, start pullng them one at a time from the panel to determine if good or bad. Check each one with an ohm meter. I have seen older styles that stuck in the open position after being tripped by a heavy load. If you have glass breakers, check to see if they are all good (ie, no blown metal strips seen through the top eye sight). If you find one, be sure to check in the socket for any obstructions In the old days, homeowners used to put copper (a penny) behind blown glass breakers to keep everything working. Dangerous practice, but I've seen it done many times. And if this is the case, you have a very dangerous situation on your hands. You also have a dangerous situation if the wiring to the light by-passes the breaker box. . If all else fails and you can't get the light or switch powered down, I'd get a well insulated pair of wire cutters and whack one line coming into the switch to shut the circuit loop down then I'd call a professional electrician to review the system. You might find out that some lame homeowner was running power past the meter system for who knows what reason beside free power. Sure would like to hear the end of your story, keep us posted

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC