> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Weep Holes in Rock
Login | Register

Weep Holes in Rock

Posted by John B on January 5th, 2003 03:12 PM
In reply to What has transpired to by Moderator, Steve on January 4th, 2003 09:55 AM [Go to top of thread]

Thank you for your response.

Since Farmer's Insurance so inconsiderately dumped their customers in Texas, even those of us that have been with them for over 20 years, I had to find another insurance company. And with mold claims everywhere, the insurance companies are very wary of insuring anything right now.

I checked some newer homes in the Austin area where I live and noticed that they have about 1/2 inch diameter weep holes every 3 to 4 feet.

Allstate Insurance apparently requires that weep holes are present. They sent out an inspector since I am a new client with them, and the house failed due to the absence of the weep holes.

The rock exterior meets the foundation, which is at least 6 inches above ground level around the entire house.

No other house in this neighborhood that has a stone exterior has weep holes, and the homes average 20 years or so in age.

It is not a big deal for me to go ahead and put them in, but another concern is that the holes will basically open the house to every bug within a mile radius. I have seen screens that can be installed for weep holes in brick, but nothing similar for stone.

With the tight insurance market in Texas, I don't really have much choice except to put them in.

The good news is that Allstate offers car insurance much lower than Farmers. The savings of over $800 per year makes them worth staying with.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC