> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > weak joists/ spongy floor
Login | Register

weak joists/ spongy floor

Posted by Jim M on December 23rd, 2001 09:36 PM

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

My house built in 1997 has 2x8 s-p-f #2 floor joists spanning 11ft 4in. The electrician drilled two 1 1/4" holes (through 34 joists) for the wiring. The holes are about 3 feet from the end support, approx. 4 1/2" center to center and vary from 3/4" to 1 3/4" between the bottom of the holes and the bottom of the joist. I realize the code violations and such. It DID pass the electical inspection somehow. What I need to know is... Can this be fixed by gluing and/or srewing 3/4" hardwood (oak or birch) ply-wood to one side of each joist (like the sandwiched beam above my garage door without the sandwich)? I have at least 4 1/2" clearance between the wires and the floor above, if I keep the repair panel above the wires it won't need notched. Also does any repair need to be full length, or can it just span 3 or 4 feet each direction from the damage? Removing the 12~15 wires is a huge job as they all enter the fuse box and some are 50 ft long. A support beam is not really practical but I may use as a last resort. Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC