> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > We had a wood burning fireplace added to our home....
Login | Register

We had a wood burning fireplace added to our home....

Posted by Moderator, Steve on June 16th, 2002 08:59 AM
In reply to Chimney separating from House by Noel on June 15th, 2002 07:37 PM [Go to top of thread]

we have a slab foundation and in an area with very unstable clay soils. Droughts then rain and the house will "bounce" around a good 1 inch very quickly.

Our fireplace and chimney was added about ten years ago, after about five years, we noticed a very rapidly seperation of the stack from the exterior brick side.

I was concerned at first because the crack or gap was showing a slight lean of the stack.

I was immediately told that my stack foundation was not deep enough and not strong enough and jacks would be needed quickly.

I was skeptical and maintained a vigil on the situation.

AFter another year or so, the settling stopped and the action seemed fixed. I caulked in the cracks and now a two year period later, no seperation shows.

I quess that the pod settled into place and found its settle and could be fixed. Since then we have had droughts and floods and no movement.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC