I wasn't to shine the floors, but I sure remember sliding in my stocking feet down my aunt living room on the waxed floor. The other part was that it was so slippery, you couldn't get much "take-off" speed.
Yes, washing with mineral spirits is probably the best way, Jules. Have the best ventilation you can and don't work with mineral spirits around sources of ignition. I'm sure that you will think of the obvious things like the stove and water heater so check for less obvious things before you start. Fans and other electric motors can spark pretty easily, for instance, so turn them off or unplug. Even plugging something electrical in can cause a spark. Think safety.