> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > waterproofing your home
Login | Register

waterproofing your home

Posted by Frank Paletta ? retired physician on October 2nd, 2002 01:43 PM
In reply to EXTERIOR FRENCH DRAINS by Kim on June 24th, 1998 09:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

dear kim,
here i was surfing the net, interested in more info so i could install a short french drain on my side yard where some water accum. when there is some heavy rain. then i saw your note. you know doctors. even though i am retired we just can't keep our opinions to ourselves.
i have waterproofed 2 homes. the first was actually built on an undergroudspring so you can imagine the problems i had trying to dry that up.
we just move into a smaller home and in the past 8months had our smaller home water proofed.
this is what i have learned.
#1 you cannot stop water. it is too powerful a force. it can only be diverted. just pick up a bucket of water and feel the wait of that. then think the next time when the ground is saturated with water, the effect of the hydrostatic pressure on your home.
#2 your home is one of your biggests investments.
a little french drain in the back yard which i very labor intensive to put in, is not going to cure your problems unless you just have sliding glass doors where the water is coming in.
#3 you need 3 - 4 consults
make sure they drill holes in the bottom of the foundation and they should leave a gap between the wall and wair the lay the cement because occasionally water could seep through a crack. by leaving this little space with some plastic trim to catch it your basement or lower level should be bone dry. also you have to have a sump pump. in missouri, it is code for all new house to be built with sump pumps and waterproofed.
#4cost does not equal quality. i had mine done by a company that charge 2/3 what the others offered.
#5make sure you know where the are draing the piece of pvc to. if you have warm weather year round it won't be a problem. when selling your house the building inspector may not like where that piece of pvc is. i had to dig a ditch myself and make a little gravel pit under some bushes at my first house. this last house i yelled and screamed and made sure everything was done the way i wanted.
i used central states waterproofing 1800 649 5582
sorry i was so windy
if you want me to scan an image of the installation procedure just send me your address
although my scanner is not that great

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC