> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > water under toilet -- plumber stumped
Login | Register

water under toilet -- plumber stumped

Posted by CK in OK on April 2nd, 2003 09:10 AM

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

My saga begins when I noticed the wood floor on the front and one side of the toilet in my powder room were discolored. The discoloration seemed to be getting worse. When I worked a piece of toilet paper under the toilet bowl and about a half a square was very wet.

A plumber reset the toilet, and discovered the flange under the toilet was about 1/2 of an inch higher than the floor. He said that was a problem and he didn't know how the toilet could be properly set with it too high. After much sawing and hammering, he cut out the old flange, replaced it and reset the toilet. He told me that if that didn't fix the problem the only other answer is that there must be a crack in the toilet.

A few days later I did the toilet paper trick again and, guess what? Water on the toilet paper. I purchased a new toilet. The plumber installed it. A few days later, you guessed it, still WATER.

The plumber says his is stumped. Doesn't know what could be causing it.

Additional information:
*The tank of the toilet has no water condensing around it.
*The toilet is in a small powder room. Only the toilet and a sink. No showers, tubs or other water vapor sources. And the room is not used very often.
*When the plumber replaced the old toilet. He remarked about how warm the water was in the toilet bowl. The toilet had not been used for several days before it was replaced.
*Under the old toilet where it makes an "S" shape there were droplets of water which the plumber said could indicate the crack. No crack was actually seen. Could this have been condensation?

Do you have any idea what could be causing water under the bowl? What can I try to solve the problem? The plumber doesn't have any idea and it has been two weeks since I've heard from him.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC