> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Water in my Basement
Login | Register

Water in my Basement

Posted by Kathleen Lee Mendel on December 7th, 1999 06:17 AM

This is our first season in our home. It is 36 years old and in pretty good condition. yesterday, I found water seeping onto the basement floor from our block walls. The block walls show signs of prior water damage. We knew this when we bought the house and had new downspouts, etc. installed. We thought we had fixed the problem. The house has been [what appeared to be] "bone dry" for the last 6 months. Why are we getting water now? It rained this summer and we had no water?

Anyway -- I had a contractor here yesterday who wanted to dig [with a backhoe] around the outside of the house and install new underground drains. [$ 8050.00] They would be taking out part of my driveway and replacing it with stones. The original drain field under the house is still working because water is comig out the pipe into our sump pump[?] in the basement. The contractor told me that it was probably plugged up. Also, the water is not coming in from the outside of the house -- we have a trilevel with a crawl space under the first level, and that is the area where the water is coming in from.

How can this be fixed? I really don't want to dig around the outside of the house. Is there another way that will be less stressful for me -- that will work?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC