> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Water Hole in Basement Floor?
Login | Register

Water Hole in Basement Floor?

Posted by philb on May 12th, 2002 04:55 PM

Hi all, I am looking at a house to buy, worked out a deal with the owner to rent for 6 months prior to "test" drive.
I had an inspector come out last week to go over it completely. The house(cape) is very sound, no termites or other pests, septic is good, roof is good, all wood is great. While we were going through the basement,in the far right corner, we lifted a 3'x3' sheet of plywood, and found a hole in the concrete floor, approx. 2' diameter. With his flashlight we could see into the hole. A large pool of water, 2.5 - 3' deep!It is in a stone lined hole in the concrete.
Is this something that anyone has ever seen? I am not in the construction trades, and I am just a bit unnerved. The inspector claims that he has never seen anything of the sort. There is what appears to be an old unused cistern tank in the opposite corner.The well is near the water pit, outside the basement foundation, approx. 6' away. The homeowner claims that there is a natural spring on the property, but didn't know that it was under her home.
The house was built in 1945, and shows no indication of water damage or flooding in the basement. The basement is not wet,not humid, and the water in the pit is clear, not stagnant.
Is this something to worry about, can/should I find a way to drain it and rerroute and fill the hole?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC