renovateyourworld.com > Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Water heater leaks on garage floor.... also, gas vs. electric
Login | Register

Water heater leaks on garage floor.... also, gas vs. electric

Posted by ja on March 29th, 2001 01:09 PM

I have a gas water heater in a corner of my garage next to the clothes washer. It has a vent from the top that makes a 90 degree turn then out the side wall and andother 90 degree turn to run up along the side of the house to above the roof line and is topped with a vent cap.

When it rains, I can see that water runs down the vent onto the top of the heater and eventually onto the floor. It does not leak at other times (i.e. the heater itself is not leaking.)

I replaced the vent cap since it was old and falling apart with the proper type from Home Depot to keep rain from being driven into the pipe from the sides.

I think the pipe is leaking where it makes a 90 degree angle to run up along the side of the house to get above the roof line.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, the heater is 12 years old and I was just about to replace it, but since this water problem and the recent rise in gas price I have been considering an electric water heater instead. Any opinions either way?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC