> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Water Heater
Login | Register

Water Heater

Posted by clark on February 20th, 2000 08:27 AM

We recently had our landlord put in a new Sears water heater. The the pressure was too low and I found that the value from the main line from the city was half closed. I opened it up to increase pressure. I also turned the value on the right side of the top of the heater to the left. I retested the water pressure in the house and thought it had helped to increase the overall pressure.

Late in the evening, I got and to find that my bathroom had water all over the floor and the kitchen was soaked as well. Evidently someone heard our water running outside and closed the main value all the way. I got up to check the water and turned the main value back on. Water poured from the pressure release value at the top of the water heater. I shut the water off and turned the value at the top right of the water heater just above the pressure release value three turns to the back to the right. I once again turned the water back on and no further water poured from the pressure relase value. However, I ended up turning the main water back off to assure that I had no further problems through the night.

What did I do? When I originally turned the value to the left at the top of the heater did I actually increase the pressure in the tank and open the value to let it release when the pressure rose too high. When I turned it back to the right did I close the pressure release value and the tank was ready to refill. Or did I flat out destroy the new tank somehow.

Allof this seems to have happened during the early hours of the morning at 2:00am.

I am very puzzled. I have not been able to talk to my landlord yet to find out if he was the one that turned our water off since he lives next door and may have heard the water rushing out of the tank.

I went back and turned the main value back on and the water was not gushing out as it had before. I then returned to the main value and turned off the water again to make sure that i had no further surprises in the morning.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC