> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > water collecting in fireplace ash trap after heavy rain
Login | Register

water collecting in fireplace ash trap after heavy rain

Posted by Chris Brown on January 2nd, 2003 06:32 AM
In reply to Fireplace - Water Leakage by Mr. Drippy on December 5th, 1998 02:44 PM [Go to top of thread]

I been faced with the problem of water collecting in my fireplace ash trap only after a heavy rain and over-running on my basement floor. The ash trap is the place where you dispence of the ash from the wood after it has burned-out. It is located in my basment under the fireplace on the first floor.

I have tried several things and non seem to work.

Such as, adding dirt near the foundation of the house, installing the plastic extensions to my gutter to drain water away from the house, etc

Itwas amazed when I put my hand in this trap, it was to my surprise some what bigger than I first thought. I drew about 5 gallons of water from it from the last big rain. However, water could have been it from the last rain and melting snow.

As an engineer, it seemed to me that some of the mortar in this area may have failed. My newest thought was to wait until it dried-out and pack the walls new mortar. Of course, the area it not conducive for a short fat arm and fingers like mines.
What should I do?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC