> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Water backup in house on slab
Login | Register

Water backup in house on slab

Posted by Samuel Atere-Roberts on October 2nd, 2002 05:23 PM

My house is 3 years old. The toilet in my masterbath requires more than 2 flushed to conpletely flush out. Many times after flushing the bowl fills up with water and gradually drains leaving all the contents in the bowl. At he end of each flush air bubbles will conmtinue for aabout 5 seconds. This has gone on for over a ear. I took out the bowl and confirmed there was no blockage. Finally I brought into a plumbing firm I got from the yellow pages. I was out, but my wife undicate dhe took out the bowl and did some checking. His final recommendation wa sthat I had a bad toilet that has to be replaced. They qjuoted $175 for installation of a new toilet if we purchase it.

I was skeptical but went ahead and bought a new toilet and installed it myself. Of course the problem continued. Some of my office folks sugested that I may have a problem with my vents.

I brought in a second plumbing contractor today. They used a video camera on the line from my toilet. The pipe is filled with water for some length and then it becomes empty. They concluded that the slab has settledand caused the pipe to trap water. Recommended that my entire bathroom will have to be dug up and thenm a new tunnel be dug to replace the existing pipe. His recommendation states "pipe bellied and pitched wron way real bad under slab in house". They quoted a range of $9,000 to $12,000 to fix it. For a new house I doubt that such a significant effect can be caused by settling. I am having a third plumber in for another opinion. Anyone has any similar problem?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC