> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Water and stone foundations??
Login | Register

Water and stone foundations??

Posted by Jason S. on April 22nd, 2002 07:03 PM

I was also wondering about what I might have to worry about as far as shrubs and trees go next to a stone foundation built in 1910?

The trees are two variation of pines and the shrubs,..well, I'm not sure on the shrubs. Now I've heard two different opions on this matter, so I'm wodering which to take to heart.

1. The trees that are about 5-8 feet away from the foundation should be cut down since they are over 15-20ft. high, they will eventually disturb the foundation, in addition they will draw water to the foundation, the same with the shrubs drawing water to the foundation.

2. Then I've heard that having trees and/or shrubs closer to the founddation will actually suck up all the moisture and prevent it from affecting the foundation,..basically diverting it away from the foundation.

Can someone please help with this?? Also, what should I do about palnting flowers and other plants around the home in relation to water and the foundation. I think if I tell my wife that we can't plant around the walls of the house she'll go nuts!! Any ideas?? Thanks.

Jason S.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC