> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Washing The Brick ...
Login | Register

Washing The Brick ...

Posted by Jay J on July 16th, 1999 04:46 PM
In reply to Cleaning brick walkway by Pilar on July 16th, 1999 04:19 PM [Go to top of thread]

From what it sounds like, it's a good thing that concrete, itself, didn't harden on the brick.

If this is the case, perhaps a good medium-to-heavy power washing will work. You don't want to use any type of tool or chemical that will harm the brick. Bricks are fired to harden and seal them. The insides are, basically, soft and vulnerable to absorbing anything should the outer 'seal' be breached. Take care in this job unless you want to have a new job of replacing broken or chipped bricks.

As an aside, I wouldn't put any type of sealer on walkway bricks. Again, they should be somewhat sealed by the natural firing process. They will absorbe 'liquid' to some degree because they do 'breathe' (I failed to mention earlier, so the sealing I was referring to isn't 100% absolute.) If pressure washing doesn't work, you may have to experiment with a little scrubbing by hand. DON'T use a wire brush; stay with a bristle-brush or a nylon brush.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC