> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wallpaper Tips...a final word
Login | Register

Wallpaper Tips...a final word

Posted by Barb S. on March 13th, 1998 09:41 PM
In reply to Wallpaper Removal by Varn on March 1st, 1998 01:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

I am currently in the process of removing 2 layers of the ugliest wallpaper in the world (the first of which is 92 years old) off of horsehair plaster. Jay's instructions for the use of the paper tiger and an enzyme agent (I found DIF liquid stripper used in a garden sprayer to work the best) are right on target. The paper tiger got through the two layers with very little effort and I think may get through 3 or 4 without too much trouble. The secret is to keep the paper wet and WAIT. I usually wait for about 45 minutes, wetting down the paper as I see dry areas. Yesterday I removed the two layers in huge sheets. The entire room took 3 hours. Well worth the wait to avoid a lot of scraping. The only suggestion I would add is to wash down the walls as soon as you finish removing the paper. I use a strong solution of TSP and then rinse with clear water. The first two rooms I did I waited for several days before washing and it was very tiring and time-consuming scrubbing off the dried glue and bits of paper. This last room I washed within a half hour of finishing and the walls are ready to paint! Good luck. It's a lot of work, but well worth it.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC