> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wallpaper removers
Login | Register

Wallpaper removers

Posted by Bruce Ridenour on November 26th, 2001 06:41 PM
In reply to Wallpaper Removal by Mamie Williams on November 26th, 2001 05:53 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't have much of a positive opinion of wallpaper removers. In 20 years of specializing in wallcoverings, I've never found that they make removing wallpaper any easier than if you just used water and a small amount of a non-sudsing detergent (I generally use TSP or an equivalent). The remover I ever found usefull was DIF Gell, and that was only with a paper that really didn't want to come off.

What process I use to strip paper depends on the paper. The face of peelable paper will pull off quite easily, leaving the backing. This, in my opinion is the easiest to remove. Wet the backing several times an allow to set for 10 minutes or so and then remove. Wash the paste off while it's still soft.

Lightweight pre-pasted vinyl I sand with 50 grit sandpaper until it begs for mercey, then I wet it with water and detergent (I use a compression sprayer for this). Wet only what you can keep wet while you work with it.

Heavy vinyls, these you just pull off the wall and hope that it won't take the wall with it.

Have fun!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC