> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Wallpaper Removal
Login | Register

Wallpaper Removal

Posted by KarenDawn on July 31st, 2001 01:20 PM
In reply to Wallpaper by Joe on July 29th, 2001 09:30 PM [Go to top of thread]

Time, perserverence, patience, embrace the mess... I live in a Baltimore rowhouse (@45-50 years old) in which EVERY room (except bath and kitchen) had painted over wallpaper. The walls are not drywall; they're plaster. Some of the paint was flat latex; some appeared to be several layers of a very tough glossy (uglu!)oil? based... I wasn't sure because of the age of the house- you could tell by the base wallpaper design (still intact in the closets) that it was probably the original paper...
I have succeded at removing it in 3 bedrooms and the upper hallway down to the first floor landing.
My results:
1.) scoring to get through paint: I used both an X-acto knife and the round Paper Tiger tool. Since I'm comfortable with the X-acto knife, I had very good results; no damage to substrate from too much pressure. I found the Tiger a little harder to determine safe pressure and had some minor damage while learning; it worked, but I usually went back to the knife- key to success: replace blades often.
2.) removal: I used steamer, DIF, water...
The steamer, for all it promised, didn't really save me any time. I closed the door to the room to build up steam/humidity which helped some but it was miserable.
By comparison, when I used the DIF and/or water, as long as I was patient (that's another key to success- I finally learned to let the product do it's thing...)the removal moved along pretty well.
Bottom line: It's messy. (Put down LOTS of floor protection- and then you'll just have to clean the glue and paper remnants from your hair, clothes, glasses...) It's a long process. (I still have the bottom landing, living room and dining room to do...) I guess lots of people would just continue to paint but I hated the idea and have obsessed with getting the job done right.
Give the products time to work and take it easy and it'll eventually get done with minimal damage.
Good luck. I have gotten to the point where I think verrrry bad things about people who paint over wallpaper ;-)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC