> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Victorian home plans--San Francisco
Login | Register

Victorian home plans--San Francisco

Posted by Jerry Ann Ward on January 13th, 2000 06:40 PM
In reply to House plans by Henry in MI on March 24th, 1999 06:24 AM [Go to top of thread]

In addition to the great comments from other readers, I would suggest that you get hold of a book called "In the Victorian Style". Cannot remember the authors, but it is all about San Francisco Victorians. It has exterior and interior photos as well as a few line drawings of floor plans for the Victorian row houses that are so common in that lovely city. Also, as Patti stated, there are myriad books on the subject. One very good periodical is "Victorian Homes", which often has books that you can order. I saw an ad for the above-mentioned book in this month's (January 2000) edition. You might wish to know that building a reproduction Victorian takes much study of the type because many architects and builders don't really understand the genre and tend to get the details, especially proportions, very WRONG. Most of today's plans, for instance, don't have the right windows, ceiling heights, etc. One good source for plans that ARE authentic is a company called Historical Replications. It is located in Jackson, Mississippi. It has a web site, also, called "The New Urbanist"--just search this phrase and you should find it. They do custom work, too, which you might have to have, as most of the plans I have seen are NOT for row houses, but for country Victorian and Queen Anne types. One source that I have worn out looking at is a plan book from Home Planners in Arizona called "Victorian Dream Homes" which about 160 relatively authentic-looking designs.

Finally, you probably need to know, in case you haven't guessed, is that building an authentic replica of a Victorian home can, and probably will be, very, very expensive, on the order of $150-$200 or more per square foot (In Austin, Texas, at least)if you care to do it right.

Good Luck,
Jerry Ward

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC