> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Very Ture ...
Login | Register

Very Ture ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on February 24th, 2001 10:54 AM
In reply to Pocket doors by Bob on February 24th, 2001 01:21 AM [Go to top of thread]

HI Greg,

Bob's right. There are quite a few quality doors, but it's the hardware that usually 'fails'.

If you get a door, try to find one that where you can remove it W/O having to remove the moulding. This makes the maintenance of the rollers VERY easy. If you don't get this kind of door, you'll be in for more work and possibly damage (if you're not use to this type of maintenance.) I have a Stanley that I got at a True Value. And probably since then, they built a Home Depot near me that probably has it too. At the same time, there's an original pocket door in my home that's solid pine (as is my newer one.) It's about 27 years old and doing just fine!

Remember - you don't want to 'hang or bang' anything on the part of the wall that 'masks' the pocket. So if you accidentally happen to bang a nail into that part of the wall, you can kiss a pane of glass, or something, good-bye! Be sure EVERYONE in the house knows this.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: If you can, get a 36" door; not a 32" one. You'll be glad you did! (I'm assuming you aren't using dual pocket doors which in this case you can easily live with 2- 32" doors.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC