> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Very Good Question ...
Login | Register

Very Good Question ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on June 11th, 2001 09:19 AM
In reply to Construction cleaning by Debby' Personalized Cleaning Service on June 10th, 2001 07:34 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Debbie,

That's a good question. If no one here has any other info, talk to the folks in that business OR talk to drywall installers (and the like.) I'm sure they've done it a lot. Anyways, in addition to what you read or hear, I'll let you know what I know.

ANY type of dust can 'scratch' a surface. And, to boot, you may end up creating a 'paste' if you aren't cleaning up your sponge/rag very well. Clean water is a must! So, always keep changing it. I'd first clean off the dust THEN I'd do the 'shining' part. Don't think that buy using warm water and dish detergent (both at the same time) is going to be enough. First, get rid of the dust, then clean the surface on a 2nd pass. (In your own home, you may be able to get away with doing both at the same time. But if you're doing this for $$$, I'd do a 2nd pass.)

Once everything has had the dust removed, then you'd do a normal cleaning or shining. Use brass cleaner to clean and shine your brass, use Pledge (if that's what the homeowner uses) to clean the tables, and so on. Remember, do this AFTER you've removed the dust.

As for a vacume cleaner, again, you have to be careful you don't scratch anything. You could use a normal vacume cleaner but you don't need a log of suction (IMO). YOu're only lifting up dust. So, a hand-held unit should be fine. And when you're finished you may end up needing a new attachment because it will probably get pretty beat up.

I don't know of a book on this but do consider asking a Pro or 2. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC