> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Very Good ...
Login | Register

Very Good ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on January 30th, 2001 12:34 PM
In reply to reply to Jay... by Tracy on January 30th, 2001 12:14 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi again Tracy,

Paintable? Yes, but I (personally) wouldn't do it. Now that you know it can be painted, I'll 'stay away' from the 'how-to' and hopefully disuade you from doing it. Here's why.

After a while, the paint will begin to chip because of the everyday 'abuse' a kitchen counter top gets. (That's why they use Laminate, Corian, Marble, Granite, and so on ... Because they're durable. That's why you DON'T see countertops made out of wood.) ONce the paint chips, 1) it starts to get in the food, 2) or it ends up in the drain, thus speeding up a clog, 3) It will look like HE-two-sticks to you and anyone that sees it, and 4) you'll end up replacing / redoing the counter top anyways. So why prolong the inevitable?

I would bet that the opinions 'suggesting' you paint it are coming from the Paint Department. And I bet the 'suggestion' to redo it is coming from the Countertop Fabrication Department (if you know what I mean.) BUT, the choice is certainly yours. Let me offer an alternative or 2. IF your tops are in good condition where the laminate isn't separating away from the underlying base, you could very possibly have new laminate put right on top. (Consult a pro for an estimate and an inspection.) A second alternative is to have the tops completely replaced. IF you go the latter route, be sure of what's being used for the glue surface. Have at least 3 Pros give estimates and talk about the substrate. Particle board in my book is a no-no (but others may differ) when it comes to a laminate top. Exterior grade 5/8", better yet 3/4", plywood is fine. DON'T let anyone talk you into ripping off your 'current laminate top' in order to reglue NEW laminte to. It's my 'understanding' that the new glue won't bond with the 'old glue'. (The new glue is meant to bond with the substrate; NOT a previously-glued glue.)

Others may add more info. THe key is to get a few estimates and to ask questions. As an aside, when we had our tops redone, we picked a contractor that made templates and DIDN'T have to remove the existing tops. Another 2 contractors said they had to take the tops w/them and 'loan' us temporary plywood tops. I would not have known this 'difference' had I know spoken to at LEAST 2 Pros. Do you see how one can EDUCATE themselves so quickly??? Ask questions, in fact, write them down BEFORE they come.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Ask question like the following:
-How long have you been making tops?
-Do you, or does a 3rd party, make the tops? (In other words, are you a 'Countertop Freelancer'?)
-How long is turnaround on the new tops?
-What material do you use to glue the laminate to?
-How thick is the material substrate?
-What Grade is it?
-Do you have to take my tops with you to remake them? (Why can't you make templates?)
-What is your Warranty? (Do you have a copy of it for me to read?)
-Why should I buy from you and NOT from Pro #XYZ? (... XYZ is cheaper than you.)
-I want to pay 1/3rd now and 2/3rds after the install. Is this OK?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC