> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > ventilation calculations
Login | Register

ventilation calculations

Posted by Rick on January 31st, 2003 01:30 PM
In reply to roof condensation? by J L Schafer on January 28th, 2003 09:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have the same problem too. House is 2 yrs old. 1 peak. sun only hits one side of the roof. naturally the side the sun hits gets warm and the warm air inside the attic hits the cold plywood on the other side of the attic that does not get any sun. voila it's raining in my attic. the plywood on the cold side is completely wet and drips water from the roofing nails. the plywood on the warm side is perfect. after the 1st year of having this problem i added ridge vents and covered my gable vents. thought that it would fix the problem of air circulation. well this year i have the problem again. i did alot of research in the past week and i've solved the problem. after doing ventilation calculations based on my current attic setup i've determined that the amount of free air being allowed to come up from the soffits was less than half the amount that is required to give me adequate air circulation/ventilation. so the solution to my problem is add more soffits. the method i used to calculate my required ventilation needs is found at

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC