> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Vaulting an Existing Room
Login | Register

Vaulting an Existing Room

Posted by Bob D on March 6th, 2001 03:24 PM

Hi all,

My sister has an old fixerupper she is restoring. She has a kitchen which looks like it was an add on to the first level of her house. It has its own roof. The ceiling has vinal tiles right now and is very ugly and low. Probably a 7 foot high ceiling. We took a look at the inside of the roof attic and it looks stick built (rather than trusses). It looks like 1x10 boards run lengthwise under the shingles with a 2x6 rafter running up to the ridge board every 8 feet (kind of a span don't you think!). It also has chords (hope that is the correct term) running across from the bottom of one rafter end to the other. Under the chords are nailed tounge and grove boards then the tile for the ceiling.

My question is this. Would it be posible, or a good idea, to rip off the ceiling tiles and tounge and grove boards on the ceiling BUT TO LEAVE THE CHORDS RUNNING FROM RAFTER END TO RAFTER END (I know these hold the walls from bowing out). Could I add more rafters, insulate the rafter boards and drywall them for a vaulted ceiling with exposed chords running through the air across the kitchen? It would really open the kitchen up.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC