> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Vaulting a bathroom ceiling & installing skylight
Login | Register

Vaulting a bathroom ceiling & installing skylight

Posted by Andrew in NY on September 19th, 2001 09:49 AM

I have a 1958 ranch home on Long Island, with a plain gable roof. The previous owners had the kitchen ceiling vaulted, with lights and a skylight, and I would like to do the same in the bathroom, which measures approximately 5' by 12'.

The bathroom has no exterior walls, and only a crank out window opening into a half-bath on an outside wall - weird, huh? My thought is to wall up the existing window, vault the ceiling in the full bath, and install an electronically controlled skylight. My hope is that this will help with light and ventilation/removal of moisture.

I have some minor framing experience (have built a shed from scratch, framed windows...), and am pretty confident that I can handle this, but wanted to verify something:

I am planning on cutting out the ceiling and joists, boxing around the opening, then framing walls to the roof rafters. I would then make my roof opening for the skylight. Finally, I would add the plastic ventilation channels, insulate, wire, and drywall the walls and new ceiling.

My questions is, do I need to provide any sort of temporary support during the removal of the ceiling joists? I cannot imagine how they would be supporting anything other than the drywall. The same question holds true for the skylight opening, assuming the skylight is as wide as three rafters. Can I remove the portions of the rafters and roofing, then frame the opening?

Depending on estimates I get, I may hire this out. However, I would prefer to do it myself if I don't have to worry about major structural issues!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC