> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Variation on a theme
Login | Register

Variation on a theme

Posted by Ralph B. on March 11th, 2000 07:07 AM
In reply to Adhesive removers by Henry in MI on March 10th, 2000 05:16 AM [Go to top of thread]

Julie, I'm in the same exact boat as you, except I also have a large utility room adjoining my kitchen with 9-year-old vinyl that is peeling horribly. We just bought this house and have renovated about the whole thing save the kitchen, but the time has come. In our case, we want to tile the whole thing but since we only have 8-foot ceilings, I don't want to place the backerboard and tile directly over the existing vinyl and underlayment. (Besides the door bottoms would then have to be cut as well.) In any case, I'm going to rip out the sheet vinyl and hope for the best. I did it in two of the bathrooms I tiled and it worked well. I do, however, agree that it was mechanical elbow grease that did the job (scrapers) in lieu of the toxic (wet) strippers. By the way, if you do the installation yourself (piece of cake), tile is actually competitively priced with the sheet vinyl. Just replace your underlayment with the stiffer wonderboard available at all Home Depots. Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC