> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Vapor barriers
Login | Register

Vapor barriers

Posted by Henry in MI on September 6th, 2000 09:20 PM
In reply to stump the (northern) chumps??? Henry HELP!!! by jb on September 6th, 2000 04:22 PM [Go to top of thread]

For what it's worth, I have never lived in a house that has a true vapor barrier above ground and don't know of any houses that have them. Every house that I have seen around here has either tarpaper or tyvek or a similar product over the wall boards and under the siding. A true vapor barrier would be plastic sheeting under the interior drywall. Some people say that the have vapor barriers and advocate putting them in the ceiling under the attic also. I don't and would not. You always have moisture inside the house and want it out. This comes from showers, washing clothes and dishes and similar activities. If you have a true vapor barrier, it seems to me that you could have condensation of interior moisture on the vapor barrier on a cold day and I don't want condensation occurring inside my walls. What I do want is a wind and water infiltration barrier under the siding which is the job of the tarpaper or Tyvek.

I don't think that mold, mildew and moss growing on the outside of a house has much to do with any of this. Air motion--wind--and sunlight are great preventitives of this. Why do I have a nice patch of moss growing on the tree bark? I don't think that it is from interior moisture from the tree. It is from the rain and little sun under the tree.

Did this confuse the issue?

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC