> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > vapor barrier
Login | Register

vapor barrier

Posted by jb on August 11th, 2000 01:09 PM
In reply to Physics (not sure, really) by Dave on August 11th, 2000 10:30 AM [Go to top of thread]

In the Northeast, the problem is usually condensation from summer humid air hitting cold basement walls. IF you never have moisture from exterior leaks or if you never need dehumidification in the winter months, then you should be primarily concerned with this fairly standard situation. If the above is true, I would use a plastic sheeting (not tyvek) vapor barrier in between the drywall and the insulation. This would keep the water vapor that is in the hot air from traveling through and contacting the cold basement wall, condensing and causing moisture. What I actually always do in my basement conversions is use the pink or blue 2" thick foam insulation sheets that I think is sold in 2' wide X 8' pieces. You can frame your walls 2' on center if they aren't sold in 14.5" widths. This way there is no inusulation to get soggy and I still use vapor barrier as described above. Use a pressure treated sill just in case and hold your drywall 1" above the floor to prevent wicking of moisture. If you have never had a water problem, then anything you do won't create one, so just get busy and get it done. The only other hint I have is to frame your walls flat on the ground if you have the room and just stand them up in place. Whatever you do, always measure in many places for the lowest floor to ceiling ht. before you cut all of your studs too long (the slab can vary in ht.) also cut all of your studs shorter than you think (1" too short) so you will be able to stand up your walls and just shim in a few places and nail up through the top plate. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC