> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Usually ...
Login | Register

Usually ...

Posted by Jay J on July 13th, 2000 08:35 AM
In reply to Bruce Hardwood Natural CB210 & CB921 by Venkatesh Desikan on July 12th, 2000 07:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

Venkatesh Desikan,

... The square edge is more expensive. You see, in the manufacturing process for beveled edges, the manufacturer can 'turn these out' a lot faster than square edge flooring. Plus, any 'mistakes' on the edges can be 'masked' by taking off the edge a little. Hence, beveled edge.

With the square edge flooring, the cut has to be purrrrfect on both sides. If there's a mistake on EITHER side, the strip ends up in the beveled-edge-strip-saw!

I didn't look at either Model of Bruce Hardwood Natural. The beveled edge is 'good' for floors that are slightly uneven. (WHen installed, you won't really notice the anomolies of the underlying flooring.) With square edge flooring, you would want a SOLID subfloor and tight joists. IF there are any anomolies in the subflooring after a square edge floor is installed, you MAY notice them by seeing a small 'lip' where the sides/edges of 2 boards meet. If you have this situation, it's only a matter of time before this 'lip' starts getting 'beat up'. And after a while of that, you'll see if for sure. It's a tough call. Talk to your installer about this and see if you have a 'soft' or 'hard' subfloor.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: Cherry beveled-edge flooring WILL cost more than pine square-edge flooring. Thid statement is OPPOSITE to what I've already said. But the reason for it is because Cherry is an expensive wood and pine isn't. (If the saw 'ruins' a piece of pine, it's not as costly as ruining a piece of Cherry.)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC