> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Using Flexible Plastic Tubing for Oil Heater line
Login | Register

Using Flexible Plastic Tubing for Oil Heater line

Posted by TomR on December 15th, 1999 12:49 AM

For once I get to ASK a question:

We’re having a pool built. I am considering an oil heater for it rather than the propane one offered by the pool company, since my home is also heated with oil. I would need to run 2 lines, each about 100’ long, of ˝" pipe. Most of the way would be along my garages’ ceilings, with the last 30’ or so underground to the heater location.

Usually this is done with copper, but I was thinking of using plastic, similar to what is used in radiant floor heating. The same material is also used for geothermal heaters for the coolant, so I know it has very good pressure characteristics, and better in-ground properties than copper. The flexibility of the material would make it much easier to install than copper, and it comes in 100+’ lengths. However, I am not really sure what will happen when it is used with #2 heating oil, and in this situation the oil would be drawn through the tubing, so the tube would basically be under a vacuum.

Does anybody have any knowledge on this proposal? Does anyone, perhaps, have an opinion with oil-fired pool heaters in general?

PS: the heater is rated for the fuel draw of 100’ distance from the tank with a ˝" line, in case that raises a concern.

Thank you in advance.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC