> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Use Oil Porch and Floor Paint
Login | Register

Use Oil Porch and Floor Paint

Posted by Ed Parker on March 2nd, 2000 07:38 AM
In reply to Painting wood floors by Mariekan on March 1st, 2000 10:46 AM [Go to top of thread]

May I suggest that you use oil paint anytime you paint a floor. Properly cured alkyd (oil) paint has the wear resistence to stand up to foot traffic and abrasion which a latex product absolutely will not have. Jay's suggestion to prime the floor prior to painting is a good idea and you should again use an oil-based primer. There are special formulations by most major brands specifically for painting porch floors and use the term "Porch and Floor" in their labeling. Just make sure it cures properly to allow the finished coat to get the hardness it's designed to have. As for tiling later, you mentioned you have a plywood floor, which I will assume is standard 3/4 inch plywood. Whether you paint or not, you will need to add another 1/2 inch of substrate to insure a flex free base for the tile. Many a failed tile job is the result of too thin a substrate. May I recommend installing a 1/2 inch concrete tile backer screwed over the plywood before tiling and you will have a beautiful, long lasting, trouble-free floor. Have Fun !!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC